My Not-Sharp-but-Hisense TV: Poor Quality and Gross Misrepresentation

On November 23, 2017 I bought a Sharp 55 inch 4K LED TV, Model LC-55P6000U, at Walmart for $298. I thought this was a great Black Friday deal: A Sharp 4K TV, 55 inches no less for under $300! I rarely watch TV (at this writing, for example, I have not watched TV in more than 5 months). I do occasionally play video games but as I have other TV’s and two consoles, I estimate less than 300 hours of actual use out of my Sharp TV before it went out on me on December 27, 2018. 300 HOURS COMPARED TO THE 80,000-100,000 EXPERTS SAY I SHOULD EXPECT. I was playing a video game when suddenly the screen went black. I disconnected my console and unplugged my TV for a day but still got neither sound nor picture when I plugged it back up. The LED power light was on, the screen went from black to blue, but no audio or video. The remote was useless and so was the manual control button on the TV. I tried changing input, pulling up the menu, etc., no change.

And here is where things really went south for me. I looked at the label on the back of my TV to get the model number to call Sharp customer support. Imagine my surprise when I see on the same label that says “Sharp USA” the words “Hisense Electric Co. LTD, Qingdao, China”. The front of my TV says “Sharp”, the logo on the screen when I turn my TV on says “Sharp”, my sales receipt says “Sharp”, the box said “Sharp” and the user’s manual says “Sharp”. But the label on the back says Sharp AND Hisense. Now I know TV’s and I have owned every brand you can think of including a Hisense TV. HiSense TV’s are poor quality, no surprise as they are among the least expensive TV’s on the market. I would never have bought this TV if I’d known it was manufactured by Hisense and not Sharp as I now suspected.

A call to Sharp customer support confirmed my suspicion. I was told that Sharp did not manufacture my TV but rather licensed their brand name to Hisense to put on the TV’s

they manufacture. Not only that but Sharp had no responsibility or obligation to the consumer for the quality of the product. In essence, they have nothing to do with the TV bearing their name. So I was transferred to Hisense customer service. The upshot of that conversation is that the manufacturer’s (Hisense’s) one-year warranty expired and I am on the hook to repair or replace my not-Sharp-but-Hisense TV.

My local repairman told me that HiSense did not provide parts except and unless the TV was being repaired under warranty in which case they would provide a whole new panel instead of replacement parts for the panel. In other words I cannot have it repaired unless I get the parts from a third party.

I am not upset about the expiration of my warranty. I am disgusted that my TV went out after so few hours of use (AFTER LESS THAN 1% OF ITS EXPECTED LIFE). I also feel that I was deliberately misled by Sharp AND Hisense into buying a brand known for poor quality hiding behind the name of a brand who traded its reputation for quality for licensing dollars. This is not the same as using parts made by another company or assembling or manufacturing the product in another country or having a product manufactured by another company. The difference is that the licensed brand “Sharp” has no obligation or responsibility for the quality of the product bearing its name. I feel Sharp (and any other brand) should disclose on the packaging that under a brand name licensing agreement with Hisense it neither warranties or stands by the quality of the product.

As a result of this experience, I put Sharp brand on the list with Hisense as brands I will never buy again. I cannot imagine that Sharp made more in licensing dollars from my purchase than they would have gained from me in future sales. How short-sighted.

Product or Service Mentioned: Sharp Lc-55P6000U Tv.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

• Sharp Tv